Friday, January 18, 2019

4A - Forming An Opportunity Belief




1.     I have a belief that there should be an app for phones where a person can check to see how many people there are at The Student Recreation & Fitness Center and The Southwest Recreation Center. The app can feature a live stream of the gyms and an actual count of how many people there are at the gyms.
2.     The unmet need is to know when the gyms are not packed so a person will be able to use the weights and equipment. The students of the University of Florida have this need. This need came from students always wanting to know when the good time is to go to the gyms or when to know if the gyms are crowded or not. A lot of people who are trying to meet this need are going to the gyms hoping that it is not crowded.
3.     I interviewed three students at the University of Florida who I believed would be the prototypical customer, and they include my friend who is a sophomore, my other friend who is a junior, and my roommate who is a senior.
4.     The first person I interviewed was my friend who is currently a sophomore. I explained to him my idea of an app for the two gyms here at UF. He said it was a great idea and that he was definitely on board with the idea. He said he always wished there was an app like this since his freshmen year. He said that every time he went to the gym, he wished he could check to see if the gym was busy or not.
The second person I interviewed was my other friend who is a junior. He said that my idea for an app for the two gyms was great and that it would be amazing if someone made one. He believes that the app could have like a statistics page that showed what time the gyms were busiest and what time the gyms were not as busy. He said he tries to satisfy the need by going to the gym early in morning like at 9 because that time is not very crowded. However, he does not really like doing that because it is an early time to wake up.
The third person I interviewed is my roommate who is a senior. He said the idea was fantastic and that he could making one because he is a computer science major. He said that the app could also feature some basic workouts for people who just started going to the gym. He said that he stopped going to gym because he is always so busy, and he does not like it when the gym gets too crowded. I asked when he started having this need and he said he started having this need back in his freshmen year.
5.     The most surprising thing I learned about my opportunity was how much people thought it was a great idea and how they all agreed with it. I realized that this was a common need with many people and that the need for it is great. I was a little surprised that there is no such app for this opportunity.
7.   The original opportunity is still there, but there are some minor improvements to it like how my friend said there could be a statistics page on the app or how my roommate said the app could show some basic workouts for beginners. I definitely believe my opportunity is more accurate than when I started. I learned that so many people agreed with it and liked it. I believe that entrepreneurs should always adapt their opportunities based on customers’ feedback because the opportunities were made for the customers and it shows to the customers that the entrepreneurs listen and care to what they say, so they would be more incline to buy and use the product. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Brian! I agree that going to the gym when it is packed is awful. It was one of my 20 bugs. It is tough when I go to the gym planning to have a short workout and it is doubled in time because the gym is so packed. I agree that there is a need to help control the traffic at the gym. It was great post Brian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, out of all the ideas that I saw for this assignment, this definitely struck me as the most feasible. Southwest can get quite crowded quite quickly, and the worst thing is when I arrive and there is no parking or just too many people trying to use the same equipment. I applaud you for your idea, as I truly believe that it could become something special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian,

    Similar to what Nick said that this idea is very feasible which is very important. It is awesome you were able to think of a simple way to try to not necessarily fix the problem but at least allow other people a way to see the situation and maybe that would impact the flow of the gym. Working out when the gym is packed is always a pain so I support your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brian! Wow. What an awesome opportunity. I am always wondering when it is the best possible time to get my workout in. Having an app that allows you to get a body count would be really useful especially to me. But I'm sure it would apply to most of the students at UF because we are generally a very healthy school.

    ReplyDelete