Wednesday, January 30, 2019

7A - Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1

Students who go to either gym at the University of Florida cannot figure out when to go because they do not know if the gym will be crowded or not.

Who: Students at UF who go to either of the two gyms.
What: There is no way to know if the gyms are crowded or not.
Why: Lack of ways to tell when the gyms are crowded.

Testing the who: There are many people who have this need. I feel that this opportunity does not just apply to UF but can apply to all gyms in the United States.
Testing the what: The only way to know for sure if the gym is crowded is to go there, but this could be a problem for many people who live far away from the gyms at UF. They would go there and see that it is pack and then they would have to go back home.  
Testing the why: There is no app or anything that a student could download and see if the gym is crowded or not. I know there are cameras at the gyms, but they should be connected to an app.

Interview 1:
The first person I interviewed was a freshman here at the University of Florida. He lived in Thomas Hall, so he was very close to Student Rec. He says he hates going to the gym crowded because he could not use any of the weights and equipment. He said my idea was fantastic and that I should I let him know when I make it.

Interview 2:
The second person I interviewed was a junior girl who lives in an apartment complex behind Midtown. I asked her which gym she mostly goes to and she said she usually goes to Southwest Rec because Student Rec is usually filled with freshmen. I asked her if she would like an app where people can see if they gyms are crowded or not. She said the idea was good. She usually goes to the gym in the morning because she says that is when the gym is least crowded. She hates going to the gym crowded because she has to make a far drive to Southwest Rec in the first place.

Interview 3:
The third person I interviewed was a senior who is majoring in electrical engineering. I asked him what gym he mostly goes to and he said he used to go to Southwest Rec, but he has gotten so busy with classwork that he barely has any time to go and when he does go, it is so crowded that he usually goes home. I told him about my idea for an app that can let a person know and see if the gym is crowded or not. He said the idea was good well-thought-of and that he and I should work together to create it since he does a lot of coding. I told him I will think about it.

Interview 4:
The fourth person I interviewed was a sophomore who lived at one of the fraternity houses on frat row. I asked him which gym he mostly goes to and he said he usually goes to Southwest Rec at night because it is not that crowded at that time. He said he hates when the gym is crowded because he “cannot get a good pump” and that displeases him. I told him about my idea about an app for the gym and he said that would be awesome. He told me to let him know when it happens.

Interview 5:
The fifth person I interviewed was another sophomore who lived at a different fraternity house on frat row than the one mention in the last interview. I asked him which gym he usually goes to and he said that he usually goes to Student Rec around the afternoon because that is when he is done with classes and he can get dinner at his fraternity house right after he works out. I asked him if my idea about the gym app was a good idea and he told me that it was great and is what he wished UF would implement.


In all of my five interviews, everyone thought my idea of a gym app was great and should be implemented. The problem I learned was that I needed to consult with the University of Florida first because I would essentially need their permission to use their cameras and connect it to my app. Nonetheless, the interviews showed me that I have come up with a great idea and that I should implement it.

1 comment:

  1. Brian,

    I decided to continue to comment on your idea because I think it really is plausible, a easy solution to implement and something that the whole student body can get behind. You really should go consult with UF and see what would be the next steps or their input on the idea. Cause who doesn't like to "get a good pump in"

    ReplyDelete